The Charente Maritime
Famous for its sandy beaches, its coasts, its climate and its light, the Charente-Maritime emphasizes various other wealth.
Would you find below, some of the regional specialties:
A littoral departement
All along the littoral, many fortresses have been erected in order to protect the ancient ports of La Rochelle, Brouage and Rochefort. Nowadays, they offer a wide panorama of what have become the coastal defences and at same time, constitute a multiplicity of historical tourist sites.
Among those fortresses, do not hesitate to discover :
- The high towers of La Rochelle and Fouras
- Between Oléron and Fouras, a rosary of six forts among which there are the Fort Boyard, the Fort Louvois in Bourcefranc-Le-Chapus, the citadel of the Château d'Oléron, the ramparts of Brouage.
Zoom on the Fort Brouage
Currently well-known thank to the eponymous TV show, The Fort Boyard, situated between the Island of Aix and the Island of Oléron, was built in order to protect the harbour of the Island of Aix and the arsenal of Rochefort. Napoléon wanted to elevate it at the level of one of the most precious arsenals of the Empire.
In project at the beginning of the 19th century, it's construction started in 1804 and was finished in 1857 in the reign of Louis-Phlippe. On the eve of the World War I, the fort decaies becoming an esay prey for the pillagers. It was brought back to life thank to the departement which became its owner and decided to share its light with the world accepting to use it for a very poular show now as famous in France as abroad.
Flavours from Charente Maritime
- Oysters : The reputation of the Marennes-Oleron oysters does not need to be made anymore but it's not only due to its green color. Indeed, its fame comes partly from its maturing in oyster beds, a unique breeding method in the world which gives to it this so particular taste of hazel nut.
Our departement, from its multiple places of breeding, invites you to discover this specialty.
The "Nature" poles
The Charente Maritime is also recognized for the outstanding quality of its natural sites.
- The Marsh of birds (Island of Oléron) : a discovering park of the wild faun with more than 500 animals representing 60 species
- To visit : The Marsch of Poitevin, the natural reserve of Yves' Marsh.